Who We Are
OASIS Community began in 2008 with a group of parents of young adults with special needs who desired to create an accepting community where people who understand the challenges of raising children with Special Needs could meet in a social setting to…share stresses and successes, and gain insights from real-life experiences.
Over the years, our vision has grown. We have been challenged to discover housing alternatives that will provide adults with special needs a safe place to live with greater independence, social connectivity, and lead purpose‐filled enjoyable lives.
- Limited housing opportunities for our disabled children & young adults.
- Limited transportation options
- Loneliness and seclusion amongst our children & young adults.
- Scarce volunteer and work opportunities
To that end, we have researched several communities and found one that has developed viable alternative models that address all the quality of life issues we have identified.
OASIS Community of West Michigan is:
- A learning community providing a forum for helpful interaction with service providers and knowledgeable experts;
- An intentional community sharing gifts, collaborating and creating optimal solutions for people with special needs; and
- A supportive community seeking to empower individuals with disabilities and their families to create optimal life experiences.
List of Past Speakers & Events
- MI Department of Health & Human Services (MDHHS)
- Social Security Administration
- Person Center Planning
- Wills and Trusts
- ABLE Act
- Bingo Night
- Movie Night
- Pot-luck socials
- Adaptive Biking
- Holiday Trees at Frederik Meijer Gardens
- Peer Group Lunches
- Mindful Approach for dealing with Family and Parental Stress
- Sexuality Workshop
- Cooking Class
- Lakeshore Regional Entity
- Service Provider Panel Discussion
More information… “What We Are About”
OASIS Community of West Michigan is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit corporation